Fourth of July Trivia Challenge
Prove who knows their American history in this Fourth of July themed trivia challenge. Tag the winner on social media with #July4thPBS and #ChallengeWinner and we will share our favorite posts!
1. What is special about the inscription written on the back of the Declaration of Independence?
A. It is written in Latin.
B. It was written by John Adams.
C. It is written upside down and backwards.
D. There isn't anything written on the back.
2. When were fireworks first used to celebrate July 4th?
3. Which U.S. president was born on July 4th?
A. Calvin Coolidge
B. Thomas Jefferson
C. John Adams
D. James Monroe
4. How many people signed The Declaration of Independence?
5. The Declaration of Independence began “When in the course of ________ events...”
6. On average, how many hot dogs are consumed each year in America on the 4th of July?
A. 150 million
B. 180 thousand
C. 208 million
D. 750 thousand
7. What historical American event happened on July 4th?
A. The signing of the Declaration of Independence
B. The formal adoption of the Declaration of Independence
C. The beginning of the Revolutionary War
D. The end of the Revolutionary War
8. Which newspaper first published the Declaration of Independence?
A. The Washington Post
B. The New York Times
C. The Pennsylvania Evening Post
D. The New Hampshire Gazette
9. What year was Independence Day established as a national holiday by Congress?
10. Who was the first president to live in the White House?
A. John Adams
B. Thomas Jefferson
C. George Washington
D. James Madison
11. Where did John Philip Sousa compose "The Stars and Stripes Forever"?
A. In an army bunker during the Civil War
B. In Washington, D.C. after visiting the White House for the first time
C. In his living room after a particularly good dinner
D. On a boat en route from a European vacation with his wife
12. Where was the first 4th of July celebration with a fireworks display held?
A. New York, New York
B. Boston, Massachusetts
C. Washington, D.C.
D. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania